Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A NEW PLANET DISCOVERED "FAKEBOOK"... OOPS!! I MEAN "FACEBOOK ! "

The world knows that our earth is a dying planet...those ignorant ones who do not .... here is the breaking news , " YES! WE ARE DYING...NO!! THE DATE IS NOT SET BUT REST ASSURED THIS IS ONE PARTY WHERE YOU WILL NOT GET THE TIME TO DOLL UP! "  And despite knowing that there is nothing that one can do to save our asses we chose to prepare .... so in preparation we "Smart Asses!" (Read:synonym for Jack Asses!) headed out to look for life in  what I can say a "parallel universe" or .... in layman's term ... THE VIRTUAL WORLD ... THE INTERNET !! In the early 2000's we did find traces of life on some weirdly named planet ... I don't even know if I remember the name correctly.... what was it??...AARKAAT...AARKUT...no..no..something else...BISCUUT ?!! ... Ah!!Haa!! "ORKUT!" Yes! ORKUT it was ... some traces of life .... but soon our uber intelligent minds realized that ORKUT WAS DYING FASTER THAN THE EARTH .... and if they did not look for other alternatives DOOMSDAY was inevitable. Somehow I have this very strong inkling that 21st december, 2012 is indeed the apocalypse prediction for those royal loyal "Orkutians" (yes! that is what I call them.) who refuse to change and still reside on it...    " You have no hope my mates...you make me marvel at your resilience.... NO RESPECT! "
Any ways the smart ones decided to move on..kept looking ... and finally in february 2004 found a growing baby planet with scope to sustain unlimited life ... that too for free! This new planet not only showed traces of life but also scope to grow and sustain a fake belief that we are all survivors and each of our lives are so awesome...virtually of course! 
Any how it ultimately lead to substituting our real lives with that of a virtual one... feel good about the changes happening on it ...forgetting about the lack of it in reality. I too am a proud inhabitant of it by-the-way... nevertheless I confess that despite my virtual life (way more interesting than my real one) ... my conscience constantly takes deep dips into the sea of guilt ...making me realize that no matter how many posts... pictures... comments I share and like .... no matter how hard I try ... I am doing nothing for my planet...my country...my people...my family...most importantly... MYSELF !!  
My cynical brother often tells me, "The more friends you have on facebook ... the more lonely and friendless you are in real life! " Sometimes I believe him ... especially when I sit and count my near and dear ones.. they are all on my finger tips ... and yet my facebook account boasts of over 500+ friends ! Ironical? Yes! Ironical indeed!! You know what's funny?? The fact that most of my friends in my friendlist are people whom I have barely seen or met once or twice in my entire lifetime. They can be my seniors from school ... some random guy I met in the train..or a bus .... and spoke to him/her just to vile away time on a boring journey... my juniors from college ... my classmates ... whom by-the-way ,I don't even talk to in class ... anyone...just anyone and everyone. I like their wall posts & pictures and they like mine... we wish each other warm birthday wishes without even knowing the date ! ( Thanks to the FB birthday reminders!) ... But if we ever cross each other in Reality... we don't even pass courteous smiles or greetings ... what's worse is we don't even recognize each other. (Dude! Don't judge me... not my mistake... everyone is putting up photo edited/morphed/shopped pictures all the time .... they all look like bloody celebrities on facebook... In reality ...well... I wish to reserve my comments on that one . Let's not get anyone offended .)
This escapist attitude ... this inferiority complex compelling us to project it as a fake superiority complex .... this sad state of pomp and show instilling in us an unhealthy sense of competition among the users ... in the form of a cool & funky lifestyle , weakly assembled business and social network... false impression of intellect, altruism and social, environmental, political and academic awareness ... are all strong indications of a dior need of an acknowledgement in each one of us .... an acknowledgement that makes us feel secure ... safe .... a survivor ...... a winner... someone special...someone unique... that each one of us are at the top of our games (mind you...only virtually.. In reality, the one at the top of his/her game has probably not even signed up for facebook and is most definitely busy playing the game on field!) This acknowledgement which is completely hollow... completely unauthentic .... completely blinding ! I say A completely sad state of affair .... and I too might be a sorry victim to this sham !!
Since, I too am in the same boat as others .... I do not consider myself adept to criticise others . I should thus refrain myself from doing so further.
 As a child , I have always been inclined to doing some good to society  (All thanks to my convent upbringing which brainwashed all of us into believing that this was the only way to serve "GOD" and if we did not do it .... we are all going to hell!) & thus, till date I am strongly inclined to it . But unfortunately I was born unplanned so how the bloody hell will any of my "plans" work out as planned .... I have failed in life again and again.... and  I consistently lag behind my contemporaries. Wherein in reality I am constantly reminded of it from time to time .... on facebook the empty appreciation I receive from my stranger "friends" is motivation enough not to give up and keep moving on.... not to forget those very people help me set up bench marks for myself . 
Unfortunately, despite all that motivation and objectives...the end result is that I waste time... procrastinate work ... and ultimately end up feeling even more miserable after "logging off"...than before "logging in" ! 
Nevertheless, this fake sense of happiness that I try to derive from FB is proof enough that it has indeed become my new habitat and for millions out there with similar or probably entirely different problems of their own . People have voluntarily chosen to withdraw themselves from their real world... their real planet and live happily in this fake one... what can one say ... the need for happiness and belongingness is what compels all (including me) to resort to such measures.So friends while the world is busy saving the planet by protecting the tigers & trees ... reducing pollution and population ...abolishing women atrocities and saving the girl child .... finding the missing children .... supporting Anna Hazare ...supporting homosexuality... standing for peace ... against war...against racism...against corruption... ALL OF IT IS ONLY ON THE INTERNET...ON FACEBOOK ... JUST BY A CLICK .... JUST BY SOME PETTY SHARES & LIKES & COMMENTS .....all done so in an effort to make oneself believe that we are actually doing some good...we are actually "CHANGING THE SOCIETY...CHANGING THE PLANET !! "
While in reality...in the real world...on the real planet .... we are only sitting on a desktop ... on a machine ...a man made machine ... doing nothing .... NOTHING AT ALL !! And How I marvel at the way we brag of this NEW AGE ERA... this NEW AGE TECHNOLOGY ..... THIS NEW PLANET DISCOVERED !!
It all reminds me of the "OSTRICH" which when sees danger ahead of it...digs a deep hole in the ground and immerses its head within it ... to make believe itself that it will survive the forthcoming danger  .... it will get over the worst ahead of it ... when the matter of the fact is ... IT WON'T ..... WE WON'T !! 























1 comment: